Section I Use of English
Read the following text. Choose the best word (s) for each numbered blank and mark A, B, C or D on the ANSWER SHEET. (10 points)
Weighing yourself regularly is a wonderful way to stay aware of any significant weight fluctuations. 1 , when done too often, this habit can sometimes hurt more than it 2 .
As for me, weighing myself every day caused me to shift my focus from being generally healthy and physically active to focusing 3 on the scale. That was bad to my overall fitness goals. I had gained weight in the form of muscle mass, but thinking only of 4 the number on the scale, I altered my training program. That conflicted with how I needed to train to 5 my goals.
I also found that weighing ... 6 of the hard work and progress I was making in the gym. It takes about three weeks to a month to notice any significant changes in your weight 7 altering your training program. The most
8 changes will be observed in skill level, strength and inches lost.
For these 9 , I stopped ... it is less important for me to 11 my weight each week. Weighing every other week allows me to observe and 12 any significant weight changes. That tells me whether I need to 13 my training program.
I use my bimonthly weigh-in 14 to get information about my nutrition as well. If my training intensity remains the same, but I’m constantly 15 and dropping weight, this is a
16 that I need to increase my daily caloric intake.
The 17 to stop weighing myself every day has done wonders for my overall health, fitness and well-being. I’m experiencing increased ... a 18 morning weigh-in. I’ve also experienced greater success in achieving my specific fitness goals, 19 I’m training according to those goals, not the numbers on a scale.
Rather than 20 over the scale, turn your focus to how you look, feel, how your clothes fit and your overall energy level.
1. [A] Therefore [B] However [C] Otherwise [D] Besides
2. [A] cares [B] warns [C] helps [D] reduces
3. [A] initially [B] occasionally [C] formally [D] solely
4. [A] recording [B] explaining [C] accepting [D] lowering
5. [A] set [B] reach [C] review [D] modify
6. [A] definition [B] distribution [C] prediction [D] depiction
7. [A] regardless of [B] aside from [C] due to [D] along with
8. [A] rigid [B] immediate [C] precise [D] orderly
9. [A] reasons [B] judgments [C] methods [D] claims
10. [A] though [B] again [C] instead [D] indeed
11. [A] report [B] overlook [C] conceal [D] track
12. [A] approve of [B] account for [C] hold onto [D] depend on
13. [A] adjust [B] share [C] confirm [D] prepare
14. [A] features [B] rules [C] results [D] tests
15. [A] hungry [B] anxious [C] sick [D] bored
16. [A] secret [B] sign [C] belief [D] principle
17. [A] decision [B] necessity [C] wish [D] request
18. [A] surprising [B] restricting [C] disappointing [D] consuming
19. [A] if [B] unless [C] until [D] because
20. [A] dominating [B] puzzling [C] obsessing [D] triumphing